What Are the Best Work From Home Jobs in 2023?
According to an Owl Labs study, 16% of companies are fully remote. In this same study, 62% of workers aged 22 to 65 reported working remotely occasionally. Unsurprisingly, those numbers will continue to rise because, according to a recent survey, 87% of remote workers believe remote work options improve their overall work-life balance.
The best work-from-home jobs in 2023 and beyond will be for self-motivated, adaptable, independent individuals with solid communication skills. Some of these jobs include virtual assistant, freelance writer, graphic designer, online tutor, and customer service representative.
Wondering how you can join the remote workforce in 2023? We have compiled a list of the best types of remote jobs to consider. Read on to learn how you can start working from home today.
- What Are the Best Work From Home Jobs in 2023?
- 15 Lucrative Remote Jobs to Consider
- 1. Software Developer – $121,138 Per Year
- 2. Web Developer – $62, 553 Per Year
- 3. Graphic Designer – $50, 710 Per Year
- 4. Virtual Assistant – $59, 010 Per Year
- 5. Data Entry Clerk – $30,535 Per Year
- 6. Customer Service Representative – $31,994 Per Year
- 7. Medical Coder – $46, 410 Per Year
- 8. Translator – $49, 110 Per Year
- 9. Digital Marketing Manager – $115,025 Per Year
- 10. SEO Specialist – $59, 897 Per Year
- 11. Social Media Manager – $53, 060 Per Year
- 12. Transcriptionist – $44,700 Per Year
- 13. Copywriter – $$76,778 Per Year
- 14. Voice-Over Artist – $53,266 Per Year
- 15. Tutor – $42,425 Per Year
- Types of Remote Jobs: Find a Role For Your Skillset
- Join the Remote Work Revolution
5 Categories of Remote Work
There are a lot of misconceptions about remote work. For instance, some people refer to remote jobs as freelancing. Others believe you cannot do a full-time job remotely. To dispel these myths, here are the categories of remote work:
- Freelancing: Freelancing is an option that working remotely offers you. Because you work from a remote location, you can work with as many businesses as you can manage. However, unlike other categories of remote work where you only focus on your talents, you are responsible for more. For instance, you will find clients yourself, market your services, and manage your billing and taxes.
- Work From Home (WFH): This remote work option means you work for your employer from home instead of from an office.
- Hybrid (WFH + In-office): The hybrid model combines WFH and in-office work. Even though your employer offers you a remote work option, you are sometimes expected to show up in the office. Many companies adopted this model when lockdown restrictions were reduced during the pandemic. And according to an AT&T study, the hybrid work model will grow to 81% in 2024.
- Remote-friendly: If your company is “remote-friendly,” you can work remotely occasionally but will be expected to be present in the office most of the time.
- Fully remote: Fully remote Companies don’t expect their employees to be in the office anytime. In fact, you may never meet your employer in person if you work for fully remote companies. Offering a 100% remote job can be an effective way for businesses to attract diverse talent. It is also a means for job seekers to work with international companies.
15 Lucrative Remote Jobs to Consider
1. Software Developer – $121,138 Per Year
One of the best remote jobs in 2023 is software development. As a software developer, you analyze users’ needs and then design and develop software to meet those needs.
2. Web Developer – $62, 553 Per Year
Like the job of a software developer, you must also consider the user as a web developer. Your job entails designing web pages and apps that help users find information quickly and also help them manage tasks efficiently.
Web designers must also understand programming languages such as HTML and CSS. One cool thing about being a web designer is that you can work remotely from your home office or anywhere in the world.
3. Graphic Designer – $50, 710 Per Year
Graphic designers also use a computer and the internet to create visuals that communicate ideas. Graphic designers may design websites, logos, advertisements, magazines, books, and product packaging. They must also understand design principles such as color theory, composition, and typography.
4. Virtual Assistant – $59, 010 Per Year
The great thing about becoming a virtual assistant is that as remote work continues to grow, this job will too. Entrepreneurs are springing up daily, and these people cannot afford full-time employees, so they turn to VAs. Why? Because VAs can do the work of many employees for a fraction of the cost.
As a VA, you will perform administrative tasks such as managing calendars and emails, conducting research, preparing reports, and data entry. You can increase your earning potential by specializing in a specific area, such as marketing or social media management.
5. Data Entry Clerk – $30,535 Per Year
One of the easiest jobs you can do working remotely is data entry. You’ll usually only need a GED or high school diploma and a reliable internet connection. Data entry clerks enter information into a computer database using a particular program.
They must pay close attention to detail because even a single error can delay a project or cost a company money.
6. Customer Service Representative – $31,994 Per Year
Customer service representatives help customers solve their problems and provide support. They also answer questions about a company’s products or services and help customers resolve issues. This remote position requires you to be friendly, organized, and efficient because you will interact with customers via phone and email.
7. Medical Coder – $46, 410 Per Year
A medical coder updates patient records with the standardized information needed for billing and data management. A code must be assigned to each diagnosis or procedure that a physician, nurse, or other healthcare provider performs.
As a medical coder, you must complete a certificate program and pass one certification exam or an associate degree program in healthcare billing and coding.
8. Translator – $49, 110 Per Year
Are you bilingual or proficient in a foreign language? If so, you can become a freelance translator and work remotely from anywhere. Translators convert written text, whether a document or speech, from one language to another. They must also understand the rules of grammar in both languages.
9. Digital Marketing Manager – $115,025 Per Year
Every online business today needs digital marketers to market its products or services online. So, this remote job is in high demand. If you have the skills necessary to drive traffic online and increase conversions, you should consider digital marketing as a remote job option. You’ll also need excellent communication skills and the ability to work under pressure.
10. SEO Specialist – $59, 897 Per Year
A digital marketer usually works with an SEO (Search Engine Optimization) specialist during a campaign. The SEO specialist researches keywords and competitor analysis to determine the best keywords for a website. They also write meta descriptions and titles for web pages and optimize the website code to increase rankings on search engines.
11. Social Media Manager – $53, 060 Per Year
This remote worker oversees a company’s interactions with the public by developing content strategies for social media platforms. They also develop digital campaigns to build communities online, analyze engagement data, and identify trends in customer interactions.
Successful social media managers have strong communication and writing skills. Plus, they’re creative and have a solid understanding of the social media platforms they use.
12. Transcriptionist – $44,700 Per Year
Another type of job for entry-level remote workers is transcription. As a transcriptionist, you listen to audio files and type what you hear into a computer. This job requires excellent listening skills and typing at least 60 words per minute.
If you have these traits, you can start a freelance career as an online transcriptionist or apply for a remote position at a company.
13. Copywriter – $$76,778 Per Year
Most people see copywriters as freelancers. However, copywriters can work full-time in a company’s marketing or communications department. Copywriters are creatives that use their words to tell a story or sell a product. They write articles, blogs, social media captions, press releases, ads, and other marketing materials.
14. Voice-Over Artist – $53,266 Per Year
Voice-over artists work remotely by reading scripts and recording them using an audio-editing program. Most voice-over artists work for advertising agencies, video game companies, and movie studios. Some voice-over artists also work as podcast hosts or radio personalities.
15. Tutor – $42,425 Per Year
Although before the pandemic, online learning was a thing. But it was during the pandemic that it became the norm. Today, more institutions have embraced remote learning to offer more students access to education.
This also led to many online learning platforms emerging. So, if you have a passion for teaching, you can consider teaching online to become a tutor.
You may be interested: 5 Ways to Boost Your Search for Remote Work
Types of Remote Jobs: Find a Role For Your Skillset
|Category of Remote Work||Roles Available|
|Content Creation||Writer, Editor, Proofreader, Copywriter, Content Strategist, Content Marketer.|
|Web Development||Front-End Developer, Back-End Developer, Full-Stack Developer, Web Designer, UI/UX Designer.|
|Online Education||Online Teacher, Online Tutor, E-Learning Developer, Instructional Designer.|
|Virtual Assistance||Administrative Assistant, Personal Assistant, Customer Service Representative, Social Media Manager, Project Manager.|
|Marketing||Digital Marketer, Marketing Manager, SEO Specialist, PPC Specialist, Social Media Specialist.|
|Accounting/Finance||Accountant, Bookkeeper, Financial Analyst, Tax Specialist.|
|Sales||Sales Representative, Account Executive, Business Development Manager, Lead Generation Specialist.|
|Graphic Design||Graphic Designer, Illustrator, Visual Designer, UI/UX Designer.|
|Data Entry/Analysis||Data Entry Clerk, Data Analyst, Business Intelligence Analyst, Data Scientist, Market Researcher.|
|Healthcare||Medical Coder, Medical Transcriptionist, Nurse Practitioner, Telemedicine Provider, Medical Writer|
|Consulting||Management Consultant, IT Consultant, Business Consultant, Marketing Consultant, Financial Consultant|
|Legal||Paralegal, Legal Secretary, Legal Writer, Contract Administrator, Document Reviewer|
|Customer Service||Customer Support Representative, Technical Support Representative, Help Desk Specialist, Call Center Agent, Chat Support Specialist|
|Software Development||Software Engineer, Mobile App Developer, Quality Assurance Tester, DevOps Engineer, Technical Writer|
|Project Management||Project Manager, Scrum Master, Agile Coach, Product Manager, Program Manager|
|Human Resources||HR Generalist, Recruiter, Talent Acquisition Specialist, HR Coordinator, Benefits Administrator|
|Translation/Localization||Translator, Interpreter, Localization Specialist, Transcriptionist, Language Reviewer|
Join the Remote Work Revolution
Remote work is forecast to continue growing as companies adopt new work styles to remain competitive.
There are many more remote jobs available than a few years ago. Plus, starting salaries are increasing as more companies embrace remote work. So, if you want to start working from home or pursue a new career, consider one of these remote jobs to start your journey.
Frequently Asked Questions About Remote Jobs
There are several work-from-home jobs, including:
* Virtual Assistant
* Data entry
* Customer service jobs
* Marketing jobs
* Online tutoring
While many remote jobs do require IT skills, there are also many in-demand remote jobs in non-IT fields. These include jobs in:
* Project management
* Business development
* Executive assistant
* Customer service
Generally speaking, jobs requiring only computer use and internet access, such as data entry, customer service, or online tutoring, are the easiest to do remotely.
Payscale.com reports that Data Scientists have the highest average salary among remote jobs at $96,589. Flexjobs, however, says that network architects can earn as much as $121,640.
As per We Work Remotely, the highest-paying jobs for beginners are:
* Web Designer
* Project Manager
* Content Writer and SEO Marketing Manager
* Virtual Assistant and Remote Office Manager
* Customer Support Specialists