Looking for Tips to Get Better at Remote Learning?
Students today are spoilt for choice, given the wide range of remote learning options and offerings from elite educational institutions.
This, however, comes with its own share of challenges, such as indecisiveness or not knowing which course to select, along with the lack of commitment among students, giving rise to increased abandonment rates.
Apart from this, many students are yet to fully calibrate their minds to this new format of learning, so if you are struggling with this, stay attuned to some tried-and-tested tips to best aid your remote learning.
The COVID-19 pandemic has fundamentally altered the higher education landscape within just a few years, and remote learning is no longer treated as being worth less than in-person classes. According to recent studies, over 75% of US undergrads are enrolled in at least one remote learning class, with 45% enrolled exclusively in distance learning programs.
As a result, universities across the world are going all out when it comes to distance or blended learning programs, offering a broad range of options and flexibility, marking a giant leap forward in terms of accessibility.
While the growing range of courses and learning providers stands to add substantial value to students across the world, it also brings with it various challenges. This mostly pertains to finding the right universities and courses that best suit your individual learning objectives.
In this article, we cover some tried and tested tips to help you narrow down to your ideal choice while selecting online courses, but first, a small detour to get a brief primer on what exactly remote learning entails.
Table of contents
- Looking for Tips to Get Better at Remote Learning?
- What Is Remote Learning?
- Remote Learning Benefits
- Find The Right University Course For Remote Learning With these 6 Tips
- 1. Understand Your Learning Goals And Objectives
- 2. Research Accreditations Of The Universities Or Course Providers
- 3. Pay Attention To The Quality Of Study Materials
- 4. Check And Compare Student Support Services Offered By The University
- 5. Go Through Student Experiences, Reviews, And Testimonials
- 6. Get In Touch With Alumni And Enquire About Their Experiences Personally
- How To Fund Your Studies?
- Remote Learning is The Future
What Is Remote Learning?
Remote learning refers to the imparting of knowledge and education via the internet and other relevant materials without a physical classroom environment or an instructor being present.
The last three years have witnessed substantial changes and innovations pertaining to remote learning. This includes new learning management systems that allow for a turnkey online school or institution, along with content management software that allows content creators to set up a library similar to Netflix for their various courses and programs.
While remote learning has been growing in popularity throughout the past two decades, the pandemic in 2020 was a key catalyst. With in-person classes no longer available, schools, universities, and other learning providers were forced to pivot. This, however, made them realize the substantial benefits of remote learning, which we cover in-depth in the next section.
Remote Learning Benefits
Students, educators, and institutions alike have started realizing the substantial benefits that remote learning holds over in-person classes.
Here are some obvious benefits of remote learning in 2023:
- Wider Reach & Accessibility – One of the core tenets of remote learning is that anyone from any part of the world can access learning with an internet connection alone.
- Flexibility – Instead of fixed schedules, availability, and preset mixture of classes, students now have the ability to take up courses as and when it is most convenient.
- Economical – The substantial cost advantages that come with remote learning is yet to be fully unlocked.
It seems rather obvious with virtual classes, larger numbers of students, and no physical infrastructure or commuting requirements will make education more affordable.
- More Options – With recorded courses and no fixed schedules, students have the option to take up a wide range of courses that they are interested in, no longer being forced into classes based on scheduling issues or availability.
- Self-Paced Learning – Students have the option to take up classes when they find it most favorable and can repeat the classes any number of times necessary, resulting in better retention and learning outcomes.
Find The Right University Course For Remote Learning With these 6 Tips
If you’re eager to get in on the remote learning frenzy, here are some tips for choosing the right university course for you,
1. Understand Your Learning Goals And Objectives
Before starting your quest to find relevant programs, it´s key that you understand what your goals are.
With the easy availability of courses, most students increasingly get stuck in an eternal ‘Tutorial Hell’ of just taking up more and more courses without having a material impact on their jobs, pay, or productivity.
2. Research Accreditations Of The Universities Or Course Providers
When looking out for remote learning courses, make sure to research what type of certifications and accreditations these courses offer for the completion of the course.
The rise of remote learning has also given rise to a wide range of spurious ‘Diploma Mills’ that fail to add much value to students.
3. Pay Attention To The Quality Of Study Materials
Not all university courses are made the same, and when it comes to the quality of materials, there are certain non-university programs that might add more value.
Most universities should offer samples of their video courses or shorter courses and certification programs for students to try out before splurging on the real thing.
4. Check And Compare Student Support Services Offered By The University
This includes how easily support is accessible with prompt responses, along with other services such as placements, guidance, and more.
5. Go Through Student Experiences, Reviews, And Testimonials
This will give you a better picture of what is being offered and the types of outcomes you can expect. Make sure to look beyond the course pages for this on sites such as TrustPilot, where reviews aren’t cherry-picked by the institution itself.
6. Get In Touch With Alumni And Enquire About Their Experiences Personally
Alumni can also serve as a source of tips and strategies to make the most of the course, program, and overall experience.
How To Fund Your Studies?
While online learning and remote courses have brought education within the reach of the masses, they can still be quite expensive, especially when taking up programs at elite universities.
Fortunately, there are scholarships available even for those studying online, and oftentimes all it requires is an application with a personal essay detailing why you require the scholarship. There are a number of ways of standing out in scholarship submissions, and by following them, you can substantially reduce your cost burdens with online learning courses.
Apart from this, a few other funding options include,
- Student Loans
- Personal Loans
- Income Sharing Agreement
- Audit Courses For Free
Remote Learning is The Future
To recap, these are undeniably exciting times for higher education and learning in general, with most universities and institutions offering online learning programs.
These programs come with substantial benefits over traditional in-person classes, which will make them indispensable even after the pandemic is long gone.
A few challenges and drawbacks to having since come to light, mainly pertaining to indecisiveness when selecting courses and being committed enough to see them through, but there are various tips and strategies for each of them.
There are also quite a few funding programs available for students at remote learning programs, making them further accessible and bringing them within the reach of those located in the global south.