The internet is overflowing with many jobs you can do from the comfort of your home and make money. In fact, according to several reports, remote work is the future. But let’s face it: making money online is easier said than done. Plus, many online jobs require some investment – whether paying for a course or software subscription. That’s where data entry jobs come in.
You can get online data entry jobs without investment. All you need is your laptop and an internet connection to get started. Okay, you also need some soft skills that we’ll get into later in this guide but let’s start with the basics first.
What is a Data Entry Job?
If you’ve typed something into a computer, you’ve done data entry. It’s one of the most basic and essential tasks in working with computers. Data entry is simply the process of inputting data into a computer.
Data can be typed in from a keyboard, imported from another program, scanned in from a document, or a voice recognition software. Once the data is in the computer, it can be stored, analyzed, and manipulated to suit your needs.
A data entry job is any position that involves inputting data into a computerized system using manual means such as a keyboard or scanning documents.
Many businesses and organizations require data entry professionals. It is often used to keep track of customer orders, inventory levels, employee information, and financial transactions. As a result, many data entry jobs online from home are available.
Types of Data Entry Jobs From Home Without Investment
There are many online data entry jobs without investment. These are the ones with more demand:
1. Virtual Assistant ($15 per hour)
A virtual assistant provides administrative support to a company. Their customer service skills should be outstanding over the phone and via email. In addition, this role can also involve more creative tasks.
Among the duties that a virtual assistant may perform for a company are managing social media platforms, creating presentation materials, or formatting company documents. There may also be a need for data entry and maintaining electronic records in this role.
2. Data Entry Clerk ($14 per hour)
The responsibilities of a data entry clerk involve organizing company data into a file system or spreadsheet format.
They may also be responsible for updating outdated information and comparing the latest data sets with the originals. Being up-to-date on computer software and organizational skills is crucial to success in this role.
3. Data Transcriber ($15 per hour)
Data transcriber is among the most in-demand online data entry jobs without investment from home. This role requires you to listen to audio or video files and convert them into text form.
Transcribers may need to listen to audio or video files multiple times for accurate transcription.
Some examples of audio/video files you may transcribe are voicemails, podcasts, interviews, conference calls, YouTube clips, and online lectures.
4. Coding Specialist ($21 per hour)
One of the best-paying data entry jobs online from home without investment is working as a coding specialist. Asper Indeed, coding specialists earn around $21.81 an hour on average. That’s because coding specialists have to retrieve and organize client data, aid in the creation of company documents, and oversee company databases.
They may also need to coordinate with hospitals and insurance companies to record reimbursement fees. An understanding of medical processes is essential for this position.
5. Proofreader ($18 per hour)
If you have a solid grasp of the English language and excellent attention to detail, you might be a good candidate for proofreading. In this role, you’d be expected to proofread articles, books, academic papers, magazines, emails, and more to ensure they’re error-free and ready for publication or distribution to clients.
You can do this job as a freelancer or in-house employee. Proofreaders must also know different writing styles like APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.
6. Data Coordinator ($18 per hour)
A data coordinator maintains company databases, enters spreadsheet data, and communicates discrepancies with superiors about recorded data. In some cases, this position requires a higher education or experience.
Skills Needed to Succeed in Data Entry Jobs
A data entry job requires a few technical skills to succeed, but you can develop these skills with time and practice:
- Typing proficiency: Data entry jobs require fast typing skills. Since you’ll be entering data into spreadsheets and documents, you’ll need to know how to do this. Keeping up with deadlines will require you to be more efficient with your typing. Practicing regularly and avoiding typos and other errors on a computer keyboard is a proven way to improve your typing proficiency.
- Attention to detail: Being thorough and spot errors in data is crucial for data entry professionals. You’ll also need to be attentive when listening to audio recordings. Aside from checking if audio files are transcribed correctly, you’ll also need to spot errors and other inconsistencies.
- Good communication skills: Data entry professionals must communicate with clients and co-workers about issues related to data entry. This also means you’ll need good listening skills to ensure the quality of your work.
- Organization: A core skill of data entry professionals is their ability to organize data. You can use this skill to manage the data you have already gathered or plan to obtain. Further developing this skill requires training and practice.
- Basic computer knowledge: You don’t need to be a computer expert to do this job. But you’ll need a basic understanding of how computers work to be successful as a data entry specialist. This includes knowing your way around Windows, opening programs, logging in to accounts, searching the internet, and using spreadsheets.
How Much Can You Earn from Data Entry Jobs?
Data entry salary information can vary substantially depending on your employment status, skills required for the position, and how fast you can work. In general, data entry jobs pay modest wages.
According to Zippia, data entry specialists earn $15.57 per hour or $32,392 per year in the United States. It’s estimated that data entry specialists at the bottom end of the spectrum, roughly the bottom 10%, make between $24,000 and $42,000 a year.
We recommend that you take online data entry jobs without investment from home to supplement your income.
However, this doesn’t mean you cannot work full-time as a data entry professional. If you want to do data entry full-time and earn good money, you’ll need to upskill and be selective about your employers.
Pros and Cons of Data Entry Jobs
Some of the advantages of online data entry jobs without investment are:
Jobs Are Easily Accessible
Many businesses need data entry workers, so they are frequently in demand.
Low Entry Barrier
Becoming a professional typist or transcriptionist is relatively easy and inexpensive compared to other jobs.
Flexible Work Schedule
You can do data entry jobs from home to still look after your kids and family. Your plans are flexible and don’t need you to stick to an office schedule.
Despite the benefits, data entry jobs online from home without investment present some challenges as well:
Don’t fall for job scams. With online data entry jobs without investment, you’ll sometimes find fake job postings claiming to be from legitimate companies. Here are some precautions you can take to avoid scams:
- Research about the company. The most accurate information about a company’s location, contact information, activities, and workforce should be available online. If a company does not have this information, do not work for them.
- Work only for companies approved by consumer services, such as the Better Business Bureau.
- Don’t pay money to any employer. Legitimate employers do not require any upfront fees to engage employees.
Online data entry jobs without investment don’t typically offer high wages, which is why such opportunities are appropriate for part-time work rather than full-time employment. To make data entry a full-time job, you’ll need to upskill and choose companies carefully.
6 Best Sites for Data Entry Jobs Without Investment
1. Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk)
Amazon Mechanical Turk is a crowdsourcing platform where businesses post small jobs for remote workers to complete in exchange for payment. Workers can earn up to $2 – $7.25 per hour.
Tasks on MTurk typically require completing surveys, transcribing audio/video clips, providing basic customer service, and more.
Clickworker is a website that allows businesses to outsource small tasks to a crowd of online workers. Assignments include things like data entry, transcription, research, and more.
Businesses can get work done quickly and efficiently with Clickworker. And best of all, it’s a great way for data entry professionals to make an average of $8 per hour.
TranscribeMe is an online transcription platform that allows businesses and workers to complete small transcription tasks online. You will receive assignments one at a time, but as long as there is demand, you can work on as much as you like.
Upwork is the world’s largest freelancing platform. Interested and qualified candidates can bid on data entry projects. Payments are made monthly through Upwork’s payment processing system.
5. People Per Hour
People Per Hour is a freelance platform where businesses post small projects for freelance workers to complete. You then choose a project that interests you and bid the amount you are willing to be paid.
Once you and the employer agree on a rate, you can start working immediately. People Per Hour does not charge any fees to freelancers.
LinkedIn is a great place to find online data entry jobs without investment. The platform allows the public to expand their professional network by connecting with other professionals worldwide.
LinkedIn also serves businesses by providing them with a list of professionals they can contact when they need services. You can reach out to online data entry companies through LinkedIn for job opportunities.
Land Your First Online Data Entry Job Without Investment
Remote workers are in high demand as employers look to save costs. You can earn a decent income from online data entry jobs without investment. Now that you know more about this type of work, you can apply for remote data entry jobs and start making money online from home.