Online Jobs for Non-US Citizens: Where to Find Them? 

jobs for non us citizens

Is it impossible to find online jobs for non-US citizens? The answer is no. Nothing is impossible – at least, not with the right strategies to get a new remote job!

After the pandemic, most companies offered flexible work arrangements to expand and diversify their talent pool. So, there is no better moment to look for a job even as a non-US citizen. 

However, you need specific visas or work permits before applying. So, without further ado, let’s see what you need to apply for jobs as non-US citizens and where to find them! 

Who Can Work in the United States? 

The US government provides different options for non-US citizens to work in the country. Besides the USCIS-issued Employment Authorization Document (Form I-765) for non-US citizens, you can work in the US with: 

  • U.S. Green Card Holder
  • Exchange Visitor Visa 
  • Temporary Work Visas (Non-Agricultural)
  • Temporary Worker Visas (Skilled Workers)
  • Seasonal Agricultural Worker Visas

However, you can always check via the I-9 form to verify your eligibility and what you need to work from home or while traveling. . Remember that scams happen for both online jobs and visa applications. Check the US official website before paying or sending any applications with your data. 

US Jobs Opportunities for Who Is Inside the US

Living in the US doesn’t make one automatically eligible to work in the US. You need a work authorization from the Employment Authorization Document (EAD), which includes:

  • Adjustment of Status Applicants (Form I-485): The adjustment of the status process allows you to get a green card and the US work authorization for permanent residents. 
  • DACA or TPS: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) or Temporary Protected Status (TPS) status includes work authorization.
  • Students: Usually, enrolled students aren’t eligible for employment authorization. You will most likely need the Optional Practical Training (OPT) application to work in your field. 
  • Asylum Seekers: Requesting asylum in the United States, it’s possible to apply for an EAD. The same process is possible for immigrants. 

US Jobs Opportunities for Who Is Outside the US

If you live outside the US, you need explicit permission to work. You can apply for different types of working visas, depending on: 

  • Work field
  • Type of employer 
  • Country of origin 

The State Department’s Visa Wizard website provides all the information you need to apply for the right visa and work authorization. 

Here is a general overview of visas for non-US citizens looking for a job in the state: 

  • Investor Visas

E-2 Visa for Treaty Investors: This investment-based non-immigrant visa allows foreign nationals from specific countries to start a business in the US with a substantial financial investment.

  • Temporary Employment Visas
  • H-1B for Specialty Occupations: This visa allows US employers to hire foreign for three years, especially in the IT field. 
  • L-1A Visa for Executives and Managers: This visa is for executive or management positions in a multinational company to move to the US. 
  • TN Visa for Canadians or Mexicans: Canadian and Mexican citizens qualify for an employment-based visa with a degree. You can also renew your status in three-year increments as long as needed.
  • Seasonal and Temporary Jobs: The temporary H-2 work visa is for everyone who doesn’t have a high skill set, and you can find different types of temporary jobs. 
  • Types of Seasonal and Temporary Visas

Seasonal and temporary visas are for two specific types of jobs:

  • Agricultural (H-2A visa)
  • Non-Agricultural (H-2B visa)

The Department of Labor’s Seasonal Jobs website or the H2 Job Board gives you different options, highlighting top categories like job types or specific locations.  

  • Visitor Exchange Programs

The State Department program BridgeUSA allows for exchange for professions like teaching, education, or physician. 

Where To Find The Best Jobs for Non-US Citizens?

Once you find the right visa, it’s time to find the best online jobs for non-US citizens. 

Here are the most reliable job platforms to start your search: 

  • It is one of the most popular and reliable websites for job opportunities in the US. The platform includes public websites, job boards, social networks, and government agencies to give you a good overview of the job market and open positions. 
  • Jooble: This international job search website collects several job openings in one list of easy-to-navigate applications and employment-based visa opportunities.
  • CareerBoard: It’s another international search engine connecting the US with other countries, including convenient ‘visa sponsorship’ options. 
  • LinkedIn: The social media platform remains one of the best options to apply for different types of remote jobs and work fields.
  • Indeed: As the most famous job platform, Indeed is a great place to start your search and have an overview of salaries and the job market.
  • Glassdoor: This platform is an ideal option for those who are looking for engineering or IT positions.
  • Flexjobs: The platform provides flexible work arrangements and remote positions worldwide.
  • It’s also a reliable and updated company to look for remote positions and flexible work arrangements. 

FAQs about Jobs for Non-US Citizens

What companies hire non-US citizens?

Especially after the pandemic, most companies opened remote or hybrid positions to expand their talent pool. In addition, the platform AngelList provides a complete list of remote job opportunities with US startups and growing companies offering sponsorship.

And leading companies like American Airlines, Amazon, American Express, Bloomberg, Dell, FedEx, Ford Motor, or General Motors accept H-1B workers.

Can I work without a green card?

Yes, but only with an active non-immigrant visa like an H, L, or O visa or an employment authorization card (EAC). In the alternative, your employers have to fill up petitions for labor certification according to specific requirements- 

How does a non-US citizen get a work permit?

The EAD application for non-US citizens is straightforward. You need to send the application form to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), including:
– Fee invoice
– Photos
– Eligibility proof 

How long can a non-US citizen stay in the US?

Depending on the visa, workers can stay in the country for 6 months to three years.

Can I look for a job in the US with a tourist visa?

No, you cannot look for a job, online or on-site, with a visitor or business visa.

Can I convert my tourist visa to a work visa in the USA?

Yes, you can, but you must specify why and future employers. 

Can a friend sponsor me to the US?

A friend can become a financial sponsor without being a relative. You need to fill up the I-864 form, or an Affidavit of Support, to enter the country as a non-US citizen. 

To Wrap Up

To recap, to work in the US you need a visa or a sponsorship. But browsing for online jobs for non-US citizens, you can find infinite opportunities to work remotely and grow your experience. So, get ready for the application process, find the right job for you, and start sending out your resume!


Join us (We Have Cookies)

You're interested in news & tips about remote work? What luck! That's what we do! Better join our newsletter so we can hang out.