How Do I Find Work as an Audiobook Narrator?
Narrating audiobooks can be a fulfilling and lucrative career for those with a passion for storytelling and a talent for voice acting. But finding work as an audiobook narrator could be a challenge.
With so many companies and platforms to choose from, it can be confusing on where to begin. But with a bit of research and a lot of persistence, you can find the perfect gig to suit your skills and experience.
Companies like Audible, Bookbub, Voice123, Bodalgo and others are often on the lookout for audiobook narrators.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at some of the best companies for audiobook narrators looking for work, and provide tips and insights to help you land your dream job.
How to Become an Audiobook Narrator?
An audiobook narrator requires a multitude of skills. While a clear and distinct speaking voice is vital, you should also have a good sense of pacing and timing your words. Apart from this, you should be able to elicit emotions in your voice to give a better user experience.
It is needless to say that, you’d also need previous reading experience and a passion towards the books you read.
Skills And Qualifications Needed To Become Audiobook Narrator
Becoming an audiobook narrator is a highly rewarding and fulfilling career, but it does require a unique set of skills and qualifications, such as:
- Strong narration skills and acting ability are essential for audiobook narration
- Good reading comprehension is necessary for understanding and interpreting the text
- Knowledge of studio equipment and recording software is required for recording audiobooks from home
- Flexibility and adaptability are important to narrate different genres and types of texts
- Patience and focus are necessary for the long and tedious recording process
- Professionalism and ability to meet deadlines is crucial when working with clients and editors
- A background in theater or performance can be beneficial, but not necessarily required
- Many narrators hone their skills through workshops or classes specifically for audiobook narration
Which Companies Are Hiring Audiobook Narrators?
1. Audible/ ACX
Audible is one of the largest audiobook retailers and offers a wide range of opportunities for narrators.
- To get a job as a narrator, you’ll need experience narrating audiobooks and a clear and engaging speaking voice.
- You can apply to narrate books through Audible’s ACX platform, which connects narrators with authors and publishers.
- Audible also has their own casting team and they are always on the lookout for new voices to add to their library.
- Another way is to work as a studio narrator in one of Audible’s recording studios around the world. Narrators are paid for their work either through a royalty share or a flat fee.
2. Findaway Voices
Findaway Voices is a platform that provides a one-stop-shop for authors and publishers to create, distribute, and sell audiobooks. They offer a great opportunity for audiobook narrators to find work and build their career.
- To work with Findaway Voices, you will need to have some experience narrating audiobooks and a distinctive and captivating voice.
- You can apply by creating a narrator profile on their platform, where you can submit an audition and showcase your work.
- They also have a casting team that actively looks for new voices to add to their library.
- If selected, you will be paid for your work, either through a royalty share or a flat fee, depending on the agreement with the author or publisher.
Findaway Voices is a great option for narrators looking for a variety of audiobook gigs and to gain exposure to different authors and publishers.
Bookbub is a platform that specializes in connecting narrators with authors and publishers to create exclusive audiobook deals.
- You can apply by reaching out to them and submitting an audition through their platform. They have a casting team that actively searches for new voices to add to their library.
- You can also work as a studio narrator, recording audiobooks in one of their partner studios.
- You’ll be paid for your work, either through a royalty share or a flat fee, depending on the agreement with the author or publisher.
Voices.com is a platform that connects voice over artists with potential clients, such as audiobook publishers, video game developers, and advertising agencies.
- To get a job at Voices.com as a narrator, you’ll first need to create a profile on the platform, which includes uploading demos of your work. This will allow potential clients to hear your voice and determine if you’re a good fit for their project.
- Once your profile is set up, you can start applying to various projects on the platform. Voices.com offers a wide variety of projects, from audiobooks to commercials, so you’ll have the opportunity to showcase your skills and find work that aligns with your interests.
It’s also important to note that if you’re selected to narrate an audiobook or any other project through Voices.com, you will be paid for your work, either through a royalty share or a flat fee, depending on the agreement you have with the client.
Overall, Voices.com is a great place for you to find gigs and build your career.
Like Voices.com, Voice123 connects voice over artists with potential clients, such as audiobook publishers, video game developers, and advertising agencies.
- To get started, you’ll need to create a profile, upload demos and start applying to various projects.
- Voice123 offers a wide range of opportunities, resources and training to help you improve your skills and market yourself effectively.
Bodalgo offers a user-friendly platform that allows you to find voice over jobs, clients, and auditions all in one place, making it easier for voice-over artists to find and apply for the jobs they want.
They also offer valuable resources and training to help you improve your skills and market yourself effectively. Bodalgo has a wide range of clients from small independent projects to big brands and companies.
It’s a great platform for narrators to showcase their talent and gain exposure to different authors and publishers.
Once your profile is set up, you can start browsing and applying to various projects on the platform.
- You can explore your different interests by working on multiple projects that Voquent has to offer.
- The advanced search option here lets you filter the projects based on your preferred language, gender, accent and more.
- The “new job” section on the platform allows you to try new projects regularly.
- You can also sign up for job alerts, so you’ll be notified when new projects that match your preferences are posted.
- Reach out to the casting team at Voquent and send them your demos and show them what you have to offer.
The BunnyStudio connects you with clients in need of top-notch narrators and voice actors.
The best part about this platform is that it has a wide variety of accents to choose from. Apart from that it is user friendly and allows your clients to easily browse through your profile, listen to your samples and hire you for projects..
From commercials to video games, the platform has a diverse range of opportunities for you to explore.
But what sets Bunny Studio apart from other companies is their team of professional engineers and producers who work with you to ensure that the final product is of the highest quality.
Tips To Become An AudioBook Narrator
Becoming an audiobook narrator can be a challenging and rewarding career path. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Invest in your equipment: Having a professional-grade microphone and recording software will give you an edge when it comes to submitting samples to potential clients.
- Build your portfolio: Create a demo reel of your best work and make sure to include a variety of genres and styles. This will showcase your versatility and range as a narrator.
- Study the craft: Audiobook narration is a unique skill and requires a different approach than other forms of voiceover work. Take classes or workshops to learn the ins and outs of narration and pick up valuable tips and techniques.
- Network and Connect: Join online groups and communities of audiobook narrators, attend industry events, and reach out to other narrators for advice and mentorship.
- Practice, practice, practice: The more you narrate, the better you’ll become. Look for opportunities to narrate for free or for a reduced rate in order to build up your experience and credit.
- Be versatile: Be open to all types of genres, languages and accents, and styles, as well as different recording settings and recording platforms.
- Be Professional: Always be on time and deliver your work in a timely manner. Make sure to communicate with your clients and let them know if there are any issues or delays.
Get Your First Gig As an Audiobook Narrator
Becoming an audiobook narrator is a fulfilling and exciting career path that requires a unique set of skills and qualifications.
But to succeed, it’s vital to invest in professional equipment, build a strong portfolio, study the craft, network and connect with others in the industry, practice regularly, be versatile and professional.
If you’re an audiobook narrator looking for gigs or just starting out, remember that success in this field takes time, patience, and persistence. By following the tips and advice outlined in this article and exploring the companies mentioned, you’ll be well on your way to turning your passion for narration into a successful remote career.
All the best!