Avenu Holdings LLC
February 7, 2024
Conduct tax and regulatory reviews on behalf of clients. Perform review functions to detect, correct, and document client tax/fee revenue deficiencies. Focus areas included but are not limited to; sales & use tax, franchise fees, business licenses, hotel/motel taxes, utility user taxes, and various other state and local taxes or assessments.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs examination of taxpayer records for compliance under direction of supervisor and management
- Continually increase understanding of tax laws
- Research for exam leads and scheduling appointments
- Prepares for exams by reviewing tax returns, prior audit reports and other available data preliminary to the audit
- Meet with taxpayers to discuss exam procedures, answers questions, and obtain necessary information and records
- Examines and verifies business and financial records
- Prepares papers supporting all adjustments, computes assessments
- Reviews and discusses findings with taxpayer and/or representative to illustrate how tax laws and rulings apply to taxpayer’s specific operations and support exam results
- Answers taxpayer inquiries; may participate in hearings of disputed cases; performs related duties as required
- Conduct closing conferences with taxpayers and/or taxpayers’ representatives; explaining applicable law and facts supporting changes in tax liabilities and attempts to secure agreement to findings in reports
- All other duties as assigned
- Work as required to complete the tasks
- Travel as required
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting preferred**
- State and local tax knowledge or experience preferred
- CPA, CMI, CTE, CRE, or CIA preferred
- **If assigned to AL tax – accounting degree required
- **If assigned to LA tax – 18hrs accounting required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Professional background including experience with corporate accounting and finance preferred.
- Experience with state or local revenue department, compliance audits, audit defense preferred.
- Knowledge of accounting principles and strong analytical skills.
- Self-starter, with the ability to organize, plan and direct.
- Professional, customer service oriented, tactful, dependable, and flexible.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work effectively with personnel at all levels of the Company.
- Strong working knowledge of Accounting Systems and Microsoft office.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including diplomacy, flexibility, and dependability.
- Ability to use skill set, experience, and training to come to a decision under uncertainty.
- Exhibit awareness when performing work to evaluate and identify areas where issues might arise.
- Ability to understand limitations taxpayers and clients are facing related to ability to effectively provide information/records and aptitude to diplomatically overcome these limitations.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate as the employee works in an office setting, at an individual workstation, using telephone and computer
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for most of the day
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a printer/copy machine
- This position needs to occasionally move about inside the office
- The person in this position frequently communicates via telephone
Avenu provides local governments with ways to achieve more predictable revenue that supports growth, fuels modernization and ensures compliance with mandated but underfunded programs. Avenu’s revenue enhancement and administrative solutions find and recover license, permit and other taxes that cities and counties struggle to collect. The insights and improved fiscal posture enables governments to deliver expected services and sustain a high quality of life for residents.
Avenu is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Selection for a position will be made without regard to race, religion, national origin, sex, political affiliation, marital status, non-disqualifying physical handicap, and age.